Residential Building Permits–What Requires a Permit?
Building permits are required to: erect, enlarge, alter, move, demolish, or repair a structure in the City of Irving. This includes (but not limited to):
- Pools, spas, hot tubs
- Portable buildings/sheds greater than 6 feet in any dimension
- Adding/altering a garage or carport
- Alteration to the driveway approach at the city street
- Garage conversions
- Decks over 30 inches in height
- Retaining walls over 30 inches in height (from adjacent grade to top of wall)
- Fireplace installations
- New wiring, plumbing, or HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) work
- House remodel/addition
Permits are not required for cosmetic work such as painting, carpeting, and cabinetry, nor is it required for replacing fixtures or appliances at existing connections.