In 1902, Otis Brown (1872-1958) came to this area as a member of a
Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew. The crew was
constructing a rail line between Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas. While
surveying the line, crew chief J. O. Schulze joined with Brown in buying
land along the route and establishing the town of Irving, Texas, in
In the fall of 1902, Otis Brown met local
schoolteacher Netta Barcus (1880-1958). The two married in June of 1903
and built the first house in the soon-to-be-established town of Irving.
The couple had their first child in 1905. It was during 1905 that the
Browns decided to have a larger house (and the subject of this
collection) built on Iowa Street (now O’Connor Road).
The Browns lived
in this house until 1919, as their family grew to five sons. While
living here, Otis Brown was elected Irving’s first mayor in 1914. His
youngest son Lynn served as Irving’s mayor from 1959-1967.
Through the decades, the house changed ownership several times and by the 1970s it had fallen into disrepair. In 1979, Morris and Marge Parrish purchased the home and restored and added on to it. The Parrishes were active in the community, and in 1995 Morris Parrish was elected mayor of Irving.
This photo collection shows the house during its earliest days, as well as the young Brown family, who brought life to the home.