The office of media affairs consists of a media relations officer and two community outreach coordinators. The media relations officer is the primary point of contact for the media and is responsible for the release of newsworthy information regarding arrests, investigations, major incidents, crime statistics, etc. They act as the police department’s spokesperson and conducts most of the television, radio and newspaper interviews. The community outreach coordinators are responsible for all Irving Police Department social media sites, the website, video production and acting as back-up public information officers, as needed.
The current Public Information Officer (PIO) is Officer James McLellan who has been with the department since 1993. He began his career as a Public Service Officer until 1997 at which time he was sworn in as a police officer. He worked in the patrol division until 2004 then was transferred to the Criminal Investigations Division. While there, he worked as the legal liaison and as a detective in the General Assignments, Burglary and Financial Crimes sections. In 2014, he was asked to serve as the department’s Public Information Officer.
Police Media Affairs Coordinator, Chelsey Jones, started with the City of Irving in 2009 and was transferred to the Community Services Division at the Irving Police Department in 2011. While there, her primary responsibility was to manage the convenience store program but has been heavily involved in the department’s social media outreach since 2012. She is a TCOLE certified Crime Prevention Specialist. In 2017, she was transferred to Administrations as one of two community outreach coordinators. Fun Fact: She was born and raised in Irving, TX and is an Irving Tiger Alumni. She also attended North Lake Community College where she received her associate’s degree.
Police Media Affairs Coordinator, Tara Taylor, started with the Irving Police Department in 2012 as a dispatcher. In 2014, she transferred to the Criminal Investigations Division where she served as the Staff Assistant. In 2017, she was transferred to Administration as one of two community outreach coordinators. Fun Fact: She was born and raised in Irving, TX and is a Nimitz Viking Alumni. She also attended University of North Texas where she received her bachelor’s degree in applied arts and sciences.
Media Releases (Past 12 Months)
- Media Release 101817 Aggravated Kidnapping Investigation - Update
- Media Release 101217 2018 Step Grant Approval
- Media Release 100717 Aggravated Kidnapping Investigation
- Media Release 092917 Hit & Run Crash Investigation Pedestrian Update
- Media Release 092817 Hit & Run Crash Investigation Pedestrian
- Media Release 081817 Death Investigation Update
- Media Release 081717 Death Investigation
- Media Release 072817 Fatality Accident Investigation
- Media Release 072817 Homicide Investigation
- Media Release 062117 Homicide Investigation
- Media Release 062017 July 4th DWI Enforcement Initiative
- Media Release 053017 Homicide Investigation Update
- Media Release 052817 Homicide Investigation
- Media Release 051517 Aggravated Sexual Assault Investigation/Arrest
- Media Release 050317 Murder/Suicide
- Media Release 050217 Officer-Involved Shooting Investigation
- Media Release 032917 Spring Break/St. Patrick's Day DWI No-Refusal Results
- Media Release 031417 Aggravated Sexual Assault-Child Investigation/Arrest
- Media Release 031317 Spring Break/St. Patrick's Day DWI No-Refusal Operations
- Media Release 031017 Animal Cruelty Investigation Update
- Media Release 030917 Animal Cruelty Investigation
- Media Release 021517 Aggravated Robbery Investigation
- Media Release 020417 Officer-Involved Shooting Update
- Media Release 020317 Officer-Involved Shooting Investigation
- Media Release 012717 Thieves Posing as City of Irving Water Department Employees
- Media Release 010917 Injury to a Child Investigation & Arrest
- Media Release 010617 New Year's Eve Weekend DWI No-Refusal Results